Director's Profile : Quality Assurance
Mr Julius Tapera (MIODZ) (Acting Director : Quality Assurance)
Mr Tapera was appointed Acting Director at the inception of the Quality Assurance Directorate in March 2016. He holds a Master of Business Administration (MBA) and a Bachelor of Commerce Honours Degree in Management (B. Comm. Mgt. (Hons.)), both from the National University of Science & Technology (NUST). He is currently studying for a PhD in Strategic Management with the University of Lusaka, Zambia and is also an ACCA Candidate (Skills Stage). He holds several other certificates; Certificate in Research Writing Skills (jointly issued by the International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications (INASP) and Author AID, Certificate in Roles and Responsibilities of Directors; Institute of Directors of Zimbabwe (IODZ), Certificate in Workplace Labour Law; Stratways Consulting and Certificate in Entrepreneurship; International Labour Organization (ILO). Mr Tapera is a member of the Institute of Directors of Zimbabwe (IODZ) and serves on various boards and committees including the following: Board Chairman – Bulawayo Business Opportunities (BBO), Past Chairperson of the Bulawayo Chapter, Regional Operations Committee, Marketers Association of Zimbabwe (MAZ), Past Chairperson of the Finance Committee, Word of Life International Ministries, Bulawayo City Centre Branch, Part-time Lecturer and Member of the Board of Examiners, World of Life International Ministries School of Ministry, Past Treasurer of the Bulawayo Chapter, Regional Operations Committee, Marketers Association of Zimbabwe (MAZ).
Mr Tapera has over 16 years’ working experience which spans across the academic, banking and microfinance sectors. His academic and professional leadership experience is in training, development, quality assurance, strategic management, business advisory and consultancy services in both the private sector and formal tertiary education sector. Prior to his appointment as the Acting Quality Assurance Director in March 2016, Mr Tapera was the Chairperson of the Department of Accounting and Finance, since February 2010, a vibrant and rapidly growing department within the institution. He spearheaded the evolvement of this department which had 35 students at inception into a fully-fledged Faculty of Commerce, which is currently running 9 undergraduate degree programmes and two Masters programmes and now boasts 37-40% of the institution’s total enrolment, over a five-year period. He has also offered training, development and consultancy services to a number of organizations in the public and private sectors; small to medium enterprises and large corporates alike.
Prior to joining Lupane State University, Mr Tapera was in Corporate Banking with NMB Bank Limited (2002-2005) and Premier Banking Corporation (now Ecobank) (2006-2008) as Senior Credit Analyst with the former and Acting Business Development Manager with the latter. His core mandate was credit appraisal, preparation of business proposals in support of loan applications to Credit Committees, monitoring and evaluation of the performance of loan portfolios, customer relationship management, and business development and cross selling of various products within the financial services sector. Mr Tapera also has Microfinance and SME development experience which he gathered having worked for a microfinance organization, Nissi Finance, which, then, had an operating division focused on the financing of SME projects. He also trained various SMEs under the International Labour Organization (ILO) SME Development Programme, and participated in linking them with financial institutions for post-training funding of projects, during his stint with a local consultancy firm, Optimum Business Management Consultants.
Mr Tapera also has vast Strategic Management training and consultancy expertise having worked on the following assignments: -
- Participated in the Premier Banking Corporation Limited Strategic Planning and Review Process in 2007.
- Took a leading role in the Lupane State University Strategic Planning Process for the period 2012 to 2014 and was the Chairperson of the Strategic Planning Committee (November 2014 to August 2015) responsible for spearheading the strategic planning process and monitoring the successful implementation of the strategic plan in liaison with Departmental/Section Heads, the Registrar and Acting Vice Chancellor. Am still a member of the Strategic Planning Committee and took a leading role in crafting the 2016 - 2020 Strategic Plan (01-02 October 2015), after handing over chairmanship to the Pro Vice Chancellor.
- Facilitated the Bulawayo Polytechnic Strategic Planning; Operational Plan Review for 2012 and development of the 2013 Operational Plan over a two day workshop and drew up the final document for submission to the institution’s Advisory Board.
- Facilitated the Bulawayo Polytechnic Strategic Planning; 2009-2014 Strategic Plan Review and development of the 2015-2019 Strategic Plan over a three day workshop (20-22 February 2015) and drew up the final document for submission to the institution’s Advisory Board.
- Facilitated Mpilo Central Hospital Strategic Plan Review for the year ended December 2013 and the development of a Work Plan for the year ending December 2014.
- Facilitated the Gweru Polytechnic Strategic Planning; 2009-2014 Strategic Plan Review and development of the 2015-2019 Strategic Plan over a three day workshop (15-17April 2015) and drew up the final document for submission to the institution’s Advisory Board.
- Contract Management Consultancy and Training for smallholder farmers in Hwange and Binga Districts on assignment as Local Capacity Builders for SNV in conjunction with their implementation partners, Environment Africa and CARITAS (July –December 2014). Carried our training needs analysis, developed training material, conducted training workshops in the two Districts and produced a comprehensive report at the end of the assignment.
- Facilitated the Microfinance Advisory Council (MAC)Strategic Planning Process for the development of an inaugural Strategic Plan, 2016-2020, over a one-day workshop( 09 September 2015 ), produced a post Workshop report and the Strategic Plan Document for submission to MAC.
- Facilitated the Zimbabwe Energy Workers’ Union (ZEWU) Strategic Planning Process for reviewing 2010-2015 Strategic Plan and the development of the 2016-2020 Strategic Plan, over a two-day workshop (24-25 April 2016), produced the Strategic Plan Document for submission to ZEWU National Executive.
Mr Tapera is an ardent researcher whose research interests include strategy formulation and implementation, marketing strategy, customer relationship management, leadership, governance, quality assurance and corporate finance. To date Mr Tapera has published a number of papers in refereed journals and also presented research papers at national, regional and international conferences:
PUBLISHED IN REFEREED JOURNALS
- An Analysis of the Impact of Cultural Transfer on Organizational Performance in the Financial Services Sector (Bulawayo-based financial institutions), published in the Research Journal of Social Science and Management, Volume 3, No.7 (2013), 01 November 2013. Author: Julius Tapera.
- The Importance of Strategic Management to Business Organizations, published in the Research Journal of Social Science and Management. Volume 3, No.11 (2014), 01 March 2014. Author: Julius Tapera
- An Analysis of the Impact of Mobile Phone-Based Products on the Provision of Financial Services to the Individual Zimbabwean Customers. Published the International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management in the May 2014 Issue. Volume II, Issue 5, 2014. Author: Julius Tapera
- Maximizing Brand Exposure in the 21st Century. Branding as a Strategy for Creating Competitive Edge. (Accepted for publication with the International Journal of Research Science and Management in the February 2015 Issue.) Author: Julius Tapera
- An Investigation into the Effectiveness of Marketing Strategies Employed By Zimbabwean Insurance Companies for Creating Competitive Advantage, published in the Research Journal of Social Science and Management. Volume 3, No.8 (2013), 01 December 2013. Authors: Julius Tapera and Robert Gororo
- An Analysis of the Factors Affecting Formulation and Implementation of Marketing Strategies in the Insurance Industry, published in the Research Journal of Social Science and Management. Volume 3, No.8 (2013), 01 December 2013. Authors: Julius Tapera and Robert Gororo
- An evaluation of the affinity for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and willingness to dilute shareholding among Zimbabwean companies; A case study of Bulawayo-based companies, published in the Research Journal of Social Science and Management. Volume 4, No.1 (2014), 01 May 2014. Authors: Julius Tapera and Wilford Mawanza
- Key success drivers for Microfinance Institutions in Zimbabwe: Developing core competences for financial inclusion. International Journal of Business and Social Science. Volume 7, No.3, March 2016. Authors: Julius Tapera and Leonard Mbira
- African Industrial Revolution; Strategies for Attracting Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) for Sustainable Economic Growth and Development in African Countries; the Zimbabwean Case. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, IV, Issue 4, April 2016. Author: Julius Tapera
- Can Sound Corporate Governance Practices Alleviate Corporate Failure In The Zimbabwean Financial Services Sector? Authors: Banele Dlamini, Julius Tapera and Shynet Chivasa (In press - Accepted for publication in the Journal of Economics and Business Studies (JEBS))
- Organization Culture and Performance in the Financial Services Sector (E-Book), ISBN: 978-981-07-8448-5, published by TIJ Research Publications PTE. LTD., Singapore. Author: Julius Tapera (2013)
ACADEMIC CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLIC LECTURES
- Strategies for Sustainable Growth of Small to Medium Enterprises (SMEs) for Effective Contribution towards Improved Livelihoods and National Economic Growth and Development. Authors: Julius Tapera and Shynet Chivasa (Presented at the University of Botswana 3rd 2015 Biennial International Conference of Business Innovation and Growth – 8th-10 July 2015 and Published in the Conference Proceedings Publication;ISBN:978-99968-0-342-0)
- African Industrial Revolution; Strategies for Attracting Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) for Sustainable Economic Growth and Development in African Countries; the Zimbabwean Case. Author: Julius Tapera (Presented at the Chinhoyi University of Technology 2015 International Research Conference on Research, Technology and Innovation for Development in Africa – 20-21 July 2015) Accepted for publication in the International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, April 2016 issue.
- Promoting Quality Assurance in Zimbabwean Higher Education Institutions; Concepts, Systems and Processes. Authors: Julius Tapera and Pardon K Kuipa. Presented at the Southern African Quality Assurance Network (SAQAN) 3rd Southern African Regional Conference on Quality Assurance in Higher Education; 19-21 October 2016. (In press - Submitted for peer review for publication in the Conference Proceedings).
- Exploring Area of Business Linkages between SMEs and Microfinance Sector – Zimbabwe Association of Microfinance Institutions (ZAMFI), Microfinance Public Lecture, Matabeleland North Region, Hwange – 20 November 2015.
PEER REVIEWER: ACADEMIC JOURNALS
- International Journal of Asian Social Science (IJASS) - Reviewed Manuscript: Article Title. “The Relation between Organizational Behavior and Converging Technologies.” Ref. No.: 1677/IJASS/14
- International Journal of Business and Social Science- Reviewed Manuscript: Article Title. “An Assessment of Political Risk Management Strategies by Multinational Corporations (MNCs) Operating In Zimbabwe.” Ref. Volume 6, No. 3, March 2015
- International Journal of Asian Social Science (IJASS) - Reviewed Manuscript: Article Title. “An Endless Struggle of the Malaysian Indian Community: A Qualitative Study in Hill Rise Estate, Malaysia.” Ref. No.: 2018/IJASS/15
PROFESSIONAL CONFERENCES, SEMINAR/WORKSHOP PRESENTATIONS
- Achieving Sales Goals Through Sales And Service Excellence – Marketers Association of Zimbabwe (MAZ) Seminar (Bulawayo - February 2014)
- Corporate Governance and the Accountancy Profession – Southern Africa Association of Accountants (SAAA) Annual Conference – (Victoria Falls – 26-28 September 2014)
- Corporate Governance Challenges in Zimbabwe – Southern Africa Association of Accountants (SAAA) Annual Conference – (Victoria Falls – 26-28 September 2014)
- Approaches to Information Technology and Communications (ICTS) Legislation – Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSAZ) Seminar (Bulawayo – November 2013)