The library was set up initially by Miss Siphosenkosi Sibanda in 2006 in a small room with 2 bays of shelving that were donated by the Rural Libraries and Resource Development Program (RLRDP).
The first location was at the western wing of the main building at the NRZ Training Centre. Miss Faith Mandere took over the organisationof the library in 2007 and subsequently handed over to Mrs Daphne Sibanda in 2008. Miss Sifundo Gumede joined the library in2008 until 2009. In 2009 the library moved to NRZ Administration block. Currently it is housed on the 3rd floor at ZIMDEF House along Fort Street.
To provide information and knowledge for the betterment of communities.
• To timeously provide information resources that promote learning, support teaching, enhance scholarly research and creative activities for the advancement of knowledge in our communities.
- To provide timely access to information sources
- To improve access and user experience
- To provide greater access to digital collections while continuing to build and improve collections in all formats to meet.
- research, teaching and learning needs of the University.
- To deliver a Library service that is user-focused.
- To develop the infrastructure for effective delivery.
- To optimize resource sharing at a local, national and international level
- To enhance Library space
- To promote and facilitate the use of existing and new information services.
- To provide efficient consultation mechanisms to ascertain information needs, determine priorities and adapt services to specific groups and disciplines within the Lupane State University scholarly community.
- To provide digital content, tools and services
- To develop and encourage a highly skilled and motivated staff committed to the achievement of the Library’s mission
- To secure adequate facilities and resources and manage these creatively.
- To provide an easily accessible, user-friendly and safe environment that fosters research and study, teaching and learning for both Library users and Library employees.
- To apply appropriate technological innovations and promote innovative adoptions of emerging learning technologies to achieve productivity and efficiency.
- To offer formal and informal instructions to promote information literacy.
- To recruit, hire and retain quality staff with expertise in delivering excellent service in response to the rapidly changing needs of the University.
- To continue to improve the Library’s effectiveness through systematic, ongoing outcome assessment.
- Our purpose is to deliver client-focused innovative information products, services and programmes of the highest quality that are integrated with and are central to the University’s teaching, learning, research and community service activities.
Commitment to excellence
- We work together as a team committed to provide the best possible service to our clients. We opt to maintain a safe, quiet, supportive and welcoming study, reading and research environment.
Transparency and Accountability
- We use resources in an effective, ethical, transparent and responsible manner
- We provide training opportunities for all our staff to develop their knowledge skills and encourage innovation and respond creatively to new challenges.
- We promote open, appropriate and timely communication to engage and inform students, staff and all our clients.
- We embrace diversity and treat each other and our clients with respect and dignity.
Deputy Librarian: Mr. R. Sebata
MSc Library and Information Science, BSc(Hons.) Library and Information Science.
Mr. Sebata has been in the LSU Library since 2008. He has risen in the ranks from Assistant Librarian to Deputy Librarian.The Deputy University Librarian is the Chief Operations Manager in charge of ensuring the smooth running of the Library as a whole.
• Human Resources Management
• Oversees, coordinates and performs the integrated activities of LSU Library, that is, plans, organizes and implements the provision of the LSU Library Services.
• Participates in hiring decisions of Library staff.
• Supervises the Library staff through Departmental Heads.
• Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures.
• Identify and resolve problems and assign work activities.
• Review and evaluate work methods and procedures.
• Assume responsibility and manage the library in the absence of the University Librarian.
• Coordinate and direct the maintenance of Library facilities.
• Assist and participate in the developing and implementing of strategic planning goals and objectives.
• Recommend and administer policies, objectives, priorities and procedures.
• Assist in preparing the library budget and supervise the expenditure of budgeted funds.
• Assist with the identification of new information trends and the implementation of new technologies.
• Compile data and statistics on request.
• Attend local, national and international meetings, workshops and conferences.
• Coordinates activities of the University Library.
• Identify and develop strategic opportunities and directions for the Library.
• Works towards the continuous growth of the staff’s professional knowledge and skills.
• Promotes internal communication.
• Attends University Committee Meetings e.g. Research Board.
Client Services Librarian – Main Campus, Mr. Nqobulwazi Khanye
Client Services Librarian – Bulawayo Campus, Miss. Thakazile Tshuma
The section aims to provide a competitive customer focused information service in support of teaching, learning and research programmes at the Lupane State University.
The primary focus of this section is on understanding information needs and information behavior of library users and developing the skills to effectively meet those information needs. This can be achieved through the following strategies:
• Providing services that are responsive to the university user needs.
• Effectively designing and organizing reference and user services to meet the needs of the university community.
• Providing high quality services by carefully analyzing both information sources and services.
• Monitoring the most relevant information sources to update knowledge of current developments in fields provided by the university.
• Sharing expertise with the university community on how best to access information.
Subsections of the User Services Section
1. Reference Services
The overall goal: To provide reference services to the university community.
2. Circulation Librarian
The overall goal: To oversee the day-to-day circulation operations, coordinate circulation services including short loan materials, inter-library loans, circulation software, registration and fines management.
Section Head: Technical Services Librarian, Mrs. Hlompang Pangeti
Subsections in Technical Services Section
The overall goal:
To manage the growth of the different Library Collections through consultation with the Faculty, students and the Matabeleland North Community
The overall goal:
To process all library material and provide easy accessible records which enable the academic community to access information in a timeous manner
The overall goal:
Ensures and secures the longevity of printed material by applying conservation methods.
Section Head: Research Services Librarian, Miss. Thembelihle Hwalima
The section aims to enhance the University’s research activities by providing a variety of programmes that support teaching, learning and research.
The section carries out the following initiatives:
- Information Literacy Skills Training (ILS)
- Institutional Repository Management
- Lupane State University Institutional Memory collection (Special Collections)
- Faculty Liason
- Research Support
Section Head: Systems Librarian, Mr. Aibongwe Nyathi
The section aims to provide comprehensive ICT services and to improve networked access to the Library’s information resources and services. All the section aims to plan, develop, coordinate and provide comprehensive ICT services and to improve networked access to the Library’s information resources and services. The main purpose is to identify and implement innovative library services that contribute to the intellectual and academic life of the University.
- The section carries out the following initiatives:
• Library Automation.
• Hardware maintenance.
• Systems support to all other Library sections.
• Online resources management and maintenance.
- Developing and maintaining electronic resource access platforms.